Friday, April 9, 2010

Adventures in Recording Part 2

Light Camera ACTION!
Actually this is the wrong media, but I like how it brings to attention the start of something and makes it feel exciting.
In recording I don't really know what they say, I think it's just, 'go' or go head, I'm rolling. Not so exciting nor does it really doesn't evoke good imagery.

Dan and I are making great steps to solidify the things we need to get this recording completed.
Recording Date (check, well almost)
Musicians (check)
Engineer (check)
Songs (check)

When choosing musicians it can be very difficult as there are so many amazing ones out there, and some who have become close personal friends. I truly want to give the work to all of them. But in the end it comes down to; availability, sound, feel, personality, price, speed at which they record, and just good gut feelings. Sadly, many of my musicians friends STILL fit that criteria. Plain and simple, It's hard to choose.

We have chosen our Drummer and Bassist which will be our foundation. Daniel has chosen the Engineer. If our budget allows for it, we will hire horn players etc. but this will be after the main portion of the recording is done.

Our plan will be, to do one evening of rehearsing then jump into the studio with both feet, we figure sometime towards the end of May.

April is a busy month gig wise for me. Daniel and the Bassist will perform at many of the gigs with me. This will allow for a bit more pre rehearsal time for the three of us and also allows me to work out the phrasings and feels of the songs. Believe it or not a song rehearsed or performed in front of a live audience has two distinct feels to it. The energy that draws from the listeners is so vital to my performance. Hopefully I will be able to take the energy that I feel from a performance and bring it into the studio.

At our last gig, Daniel and I were excited to see our original tunes come to life as they were acknowledged positively by our listeners, a proud feeling for both of us.
Truth be told, they are Daniel's babies cause he writes most of the tune... I just go along for the song.

Diva M

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm excited to see things progress, keep us posted!

Article From Focus Magazine

Maureen Washington ~ Photo by Dean Kalyan Focus Magazine November 20 & December 11 2014 JAZZ ALIVE! MAUREEN WASHINGTON &...